Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Making Meaning of Place Value in Early Elementary Mathematics


Hey Charlotte Research Scholars! This is the first time I have ever blogged.:)

My name is Crysti. I pursuing a degree in Elementary Education. I only have a year and a half left before I graduate. The title for my research project is called "Making Meaning of Place Value in Early Elementary Mathematics: Methods and Research Synthesis". My mentor is Dr. Sheets.

We are now in our third week in the Scholars Program. It has been three great weeks! The first and second week I read a book called "Adding it Up: Helping Children Understand Mathematics". I have learned so many things from this book! Every elementary teacher needs to read it. Along with reading the book, I have also written a chapter summary for each chapter read, synthesizing the information within the chapter. I have read three research articles and am in the process of writing a summary for each article. I have also reviewed two websites and written a summary of what I learned from the websites. Below is the itinerary for the rest of my research project.

I. Complete summaries of research articles, book chapters, websites, and videos
II. Creating an instructional model for place value
III. Designing a task-based interview protocol for six to eight year-old children
IV. Conduct the Interview
V. Analyze and report the finding of the interview
VI. Create a power point synthesizing my literature review and my instructional model
VII. Begin preparing for a presentation at the 42nd annual meeting of the North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics to be held in October of 2012 in Greensboro, North Carolina.

I am so thankful for this opportunity to participate in this research project and work with my mentor Dr. Sheets. I have already learned so much about teaching children mathematics - and there is still 5 more weeks left! Due to this research project, I am considering going to Graduate School. As intimidating and complex as research is, I really do enjoy it. I have always been one to ask questions and dig to find answers. I love learning. I look forward to the 5 weeks we have left and the opportunities that come from participating in this research project.
-- Crysti Wolterman

1 comment:

  1. As a math teacher it requires a broad analysis on math problem and their equations in order to get the right solutions. Memorize formulas and find absolute techniques in order to get the right answer.




    Jojo @ Math multiplication worksheets

    ReplyDelete